- 1 How do I get better at swing dancing?
- 2 What’s the difference between West Coast swing and East Coast swing?
- 3 What time signature is West Coast Swing?
- 4 Can you swing dance by yourself?
- 5 Is Swing dancing fun?
- 6 What should I wear swing dancing?
- 7 Is Lindy Hop difficult?
- 8 What can you say about the history of the swing dance?
- 9 What is the count for West Coast Swing?
- 10 How many steps is East Coast Swing?
How do I get better at swing dancing?
Here’s my advice to beginner swing dancers on how to get good fast:
- Go social dancing as often as possible!
- Take lessons – especially private lessons!
- Go to a swing camp, Lindy exchange or weekend workshop.
- Learn the basics and get them solid.
- Ask advanced dancers to teach you a cool move that you see them do.
What’s the difference between West Coast swing and East Coast swing?
East Coast Swing Basic Steps East Coast Swing is more of a rotational dance while West Coast Swing is a slotted dance. When performed socially, both are typically danced in one small area. The primary elements of the East Coast Swing basic are rock steps and triple steps danced as a chasse.
What time signature is West Coast Swing?
Time Signature: 4/4 timing.
Can you swing dance by yourself?
Swing dancing, though typically done with a second person, can be practiced on your own. In fact, you can perfect several dancing techniques without a partner!
Is Swing dancing fun?
Swing dancing is playful, musical, and full of personal self expression. Swing dancing is about so much more than just the dancing. Of course we love the dancing, it’s our passion, but really it’s about the social activity.
What should I wear swing dancing?
Just wear something you’re comfortable moving around in, and be aware that swing dancing can get pretty hot. As for shoes, any flat shoes that you’re comfortable will be fine – soft soled flat trainers or plimsolls are out favourite as they allow us to jump, kick and move easily.
Is Lindy Hop difficult?
Lindy hop is one of the toughest in the latter because the dances requires a certain amount of stretch and lag while still keeping it’s speed. This takes a long time to get confident in. When you watch pro dancers, they look like they can go for days because they own that understanding of the breath in the dance.
What can you say about the history of the swing dance?
Swing dancing originated in Harlem during the 1920s. The dance developed alongside the jazz music of the day. In Swing music, the musicians play (or sing) some of the notes late, and then catch up in the next beat or two. They referred to this as “ swinging the beat” and hence the name was born.
What is the count for West Coast Swing?
Once you are comfortable with triple steps, six count rhythms are easy. The basic rhythm for six count patterns in WCS is double triple triple (also called walk-walk, triple step, triple step, and counted 1, 2, 3 & 4, 5 & 6).
How many steps is East Coast Swing?
The East Coast style of Swing is made up of two triple steps and one rock step. The West Coast style of Swing is made up of two walking steps and *two triple steps.