- 1 What are lion dance costumes made of?
- 2 What does the lion dance symbolize in Chinese culture?
- 3 What do you do during lion dance?
- 4 Is it a lion or dragon dance?
- 5 Is Lion dance a religion?
- 6 How do you make a lion head?
- 7 How do you decorate for Lunar New Year?
- 8 What are two traditional beliefs about the Chinese lion dance?
- 9 Why is it called Lion Dance?
- 10 Why do people dance with lions?
- 11 How much does a lion dance cost?
- 12 How heavy is a lion dance head?
- 13 What instruments are used in lion dance performance?
What are lion dance costumes made of?
The lion dance costume consists of two parts, the lion head, and the lion body. Covered with sandpaper and gauze, the lion head is mainly made of bamboo frame or wood. As the head is usually oversized, it can weigh up to 5 kg. Covered with artificial fur, the lion’s body is made of colored cloth.
What does the lion dance symbolize in Chinese culture?
LION DANCE. Lions play an important role in Chinese mythology, and represent joy and happiness. Lion dances are performed accompanied by the music of beating of drums, cymbals, and gongs instruments synchronise to the lion dance movements and actions. People perform lion dance to bring luck and to get rid of the devil.
What do you do during lion dance?
The dance is commonly performed during the New Year to bring good luck and drive away evil spirits, and the lion dancers may be accompanied by flute and drum musicians. It is also performed at other festivals and celebrations. In some of these performances, the lions may bite people on the head to bring good luck.
Is it a lion or dragon dance?
Performing a dragon dance can require up to 100 people, while a lion dance is usually performed by two people. Both traditions date back to the Han Dynasty (206 BC –220 AD) in China. There are many folklore stories as to how the lion dance came to be.
Is Lion dance a religion?
In the continent of Asia, Chinese dance known as lion dance has managed to become one of the most popular religious and entertaining dances. After more than a thousand years of its use in China, surrounding countries of Taiwan, Japan and Korea accepted this dance into their culture, modifying it in their own ways.
How do you make a lion head?
Step 1 – Draw the Major Shapes of the Lion’s Face & Head
- Draw a straight vertical line through the middle of your drawing area followed by an intersecting horizontal line towards the upper end of the first line.
- Make a circle around the intersection to get the rough width and shape o the upper part of the head.
How do you decorate for Lunar New Year?
Red lanterns are most popular decorations for Chinese New Year.
- Chinese Red Lanterns — Drive Off Bad Luck.
- Door Couplets — Best Wishes for the Coming Year.
- Paper Cuttings — Luck and Happiness.
- New Year Paintings — a Symbol of New Year’s Greetings.
- Upside-Down Fu Characters — Luck ‘Poured Out’
What are two traditional beliefs about the Chinese lion dance?
Lion dance (simplified Chinese: 舞狮; traditional Chinese: 舞獅; pinyin: wǔshī). Along with the noise of fire crackers, the Lion Dance can be observed as a masked dance performance. According to traditional Chinese belief, the lion signifies courage, stability and superiority.
Why is it called Lion Dance?
Lion dancing originated during the Tang dynasty (618-906 AD). Since the strange animal saved the emperor in his dream, the lion quickly became a symbol of good luck throughout China. It was believed that a dancing lion chased away evil spirits.
Why do people dance with lions?
People perform lion dances at Chinese festivals or big occasions to bring good fortune and chase away evil spirits. It is performed to bring prosperity and good luck for the upcoming year. The lion dance is also a way to create a festive atmosphere and bring happiness.
How much does a lion dance cost?
The standard going rate is $688 for a pair of lions. However, this can go as low as $388, for a smaller show (note: this may mean the lions dance only at your gate and in the living room, but do not visit the other rooms of the house). For three lions, the going rate is typically around $888 to $1,088.
How heavy is a lion dance head?
T.A.: The lion’s head used to be made from papier-mâché and weighed 50 to 100 pounds. T.N.: Now it’s fabric and bamboo and weighs 15 to 20 pounds. Inside are strings that make the eyelids blink and the ears wiggle.
What instruments are used in lion dance performance?
The musical instruments that are used to accompany the lion dance are drums, cymbals, and gongs. The largest drum is a barrel drum. The drum is actually made from a big barrel, which has a stretched animal skin on it.